Noise Control - The Part 150 Update
In 1981, the Federal Aviation Administration established the PART 150 Noise Compatibility Planning Process as a part of the Federal Aviation Regulations.
Listed as Part 150 under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, it specifies the procedures governing the development and implementation of Noise Exposure Maps (NEM) and Noise Compatibility Programs (NCP).
The NEM is a graphic depiction of the noise exposure around an airport in existing and future (five-year) operational conditions. Under the Part 150 process, FAA determines whether the NEMs comply. If the NEMs comply, a notice of compliance is published in the Federal Register.
The Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority updated the NEMs in 2004 for Memphis International Airport. The FAA approved the NEMs July 29, 2005.
Since the previous update, several factors have occurred that might impact the aircraft noise including changes resulting from the previous NCP, an increasing percentage of quieter (Stage III) aircraft, changes in aircraft operations, and a refined FAA noise model. The study serves to assess noise environments, and identify compatible and non-compatible land uses within the noise contours by using the following information:
- Location and orientation of all runways and engine run-up areas.
- Flight tracks used by aircraft arriving and departing all runways.
- Airport activity levels that indicate on an annual average daily basis, the number of aircraft by type and utilization of each flight track in daytime (7 a.m. to 10 p.m.) and nighttime (10 p.m. to 7 a.m.) periods for landings and takeoffs.
- Landing glideslope angles, glideslope intercept altitudes and engine power settings for each aircraft type to fly that approach profile.
- Takeoff profiles for each aircraft type, taking into consideration engine power settings for each aircraft type, takeoff weight, stage length and noise abatement flight procedures.
- Airport elevation, wind conditions and average temperature.
All of this is done to determine the most efficient way to reduce aircraft noise.
Entire document copies for public review are available at:
- Memphis Central Library, 3030 Poplar Ave.
- Whitehaven Branch Library, 4120 Millbranch Road
- Parkway Village Branch Library, 4655 Knight Arnold Road
- Cherokee Branch Library, 3300 Sharpe Ave.
- M. R. Davis Public Library, 889 Northwest Drive, Southaven, Miss.