Memphis International Airport offers travel tips for the holidays
Friday, November 18, 2016
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (December 2, 2016) – Memphis International Airport (MEM) is preparing for a steady influx of holiday travelers leading up to Christmas and New Year's.
Airlines are increasing frequencies and utilizing larger planes to accommodate the additional passengers, and the airport will employ additional parking measures as well. Other tips for holiday travelers:
MEM is recommending that travelers arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes before their departure time to ensure that they have plenty of time to check luggage and go through the security checkpoint. Passengers should also check with their airlines frequently to monitor any schedule changes.
Know What You Can and Can’t Bring Through Security
• In order to expedite security screening time, passengers should review the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA’s) list of prohibited items.
• More holiday TSA travel tips can be found here.
• Our economy parking garage may periodically reach capacity during the latter part of December.
• Additional signage will added, and the airport is increasing parking staff to help direct drivers to available parking spots.
• MEM is also prepared to activate an overflow parking area in its overheight vehicle parking lot should the economy, short-term and long-term garages all reach capacity. Should this occur, additional parking staff will help direct drivers to this lot. However, the overflow lot is not expected to be activated Thanksgiving week.
Cell Phone Lots
Drivers who are waiting to pick up arriving passengers can save time by utilizing more than 200 spaces in the airport’s cell phone lot, which is equipped with a flight information board and free WiFi. The cell phone lot is located to the right of the main drive just after you enter the airport grounds.